The past two weeks have gone by so fast I'm starting to panic a little. We're doing everything we can to splash by Thursday (today!). Was supposed to be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... We were supposed to be driving back to AR yesterday... We're still waiting on a couple parts. A spacer for the drive shaft, and the tiller head. Last week it rained 2-3 times a day and all night every night. It didn't help our plight much, but many of the passing rain showers only lasted long enough to get everything closed up and tarped. We worked through it. And if it rained all afternoon, there was always something we needed at Ace, and Lowes, and Chapmans, and Harbor Freight, and West Marine, and Lewis, and Mariner Metals, and MR Woods. Our homes away from home. Ace the friendly place...
There is a crack in the keel seam between the lead and hull glass. It is below the two keel bolts that always sit in water. Whether on the hard, in the water, rain, shine, there is always water sitting there. It doesn't drain to the bilge properly. We'll fix that shortly, but for now we need to get the outside done.
AJ tightened down the keel bolts and sanded the crack in the paint where the keel seam was leaking. The keel seam was fiberglass taped by a previous owner at some point, and it was cracked when we hauled out, so this appears to have been an ongoing problem. Running out of time we ground back the area, cleared out the old caulk, flattened the tip on the caulk gun and re-filled the seam with 5200 hoping it will allow for flex until we can drop the keel, inspect the bolts, and rebed the whole mess in the far future. It will do for now.
I stripped and painted the lockers that house the transducer thru hulls, and batteries. I was planning on using white but we have a gallon of gray bilge coat, so gray it is. The speed/log transducer is in port side thru hull, depth sounder in the starboard.
We have two portlights left to install. They were not done with the others because the wood fascia behind them had to be replaced. We started by epoxying in new solid 3/16" teak fascia head boards on the starboard side above the closet and in the vee berth. They were the only two sections that were still covered in the original Chinese plywood with teak veneer. They were badly delaminated and rotten, so we scraped the coachroof insides clean to the polyester rather easily in that area. The rest of the cabin has already been very nicely done in solid teak boards instead of plywood. Our local wood guy, Mark, homesteads with his wife, Rose, on their self sustaining farm. When not harvesting eggs, or slaughtering chickens or pigs, they run M.R. Woods in Stuart, FL. They also harvest absolutely the most amazing orange blossom honey. He kindly hand-selected some old growth heart wood teak 6" wide lumber from his stock and sawed off thin boards then edge glued them to get the needed 11" height. This is how the other replacement panels in the cabin were done, but with Mark's panels, the joint is very difficult to find. Primo work, and only $60 for the fascia and 30 feet of teak trim if you can believe it. The $ never gets eaten up where you think they will. It's the soft costs that kill you. Notice that the bulk head splits the window in half. We rectified this by cutting off the top of the bulkhead both so we could access the rotten fascia and so the window can be installed. It will be reinforced across the ceiling to the cabinet bulkhead, but more on that when we get to it. For now the old arrangement must go.
Viola: solid cockpit drain tube T junction. We added some strand thickened epoxy to the joint area afterwards to further reinforce it. I am beginning to love the simplicity of fiberglass... still not liking the raw materials involved.
AJ also made the small aft cockpit drain tube this plumbs to in the same manner.
We've also installed a lot of the deck hardware, still more to install today. The bilge pump is installed, And many of the new stanchions are standing proud. It's been a little of this and a little of that all over the boat each day trying to get ready. Feels like I'm running in circles!
Post on the engine installation and test run coming soon...
"This rambling propensity strengthened with the years. Books of voyages and travels became my passion, and in devouring their contents, I neglected the regular exercises of the school. How wistfully would I wander about the pier-heads in fine weather, and watch the parting ships, bound to distant climes; with what longing eyes would I gaze after their lessening sails, and waft myself in imagination to the ends of the earth!"ReplyDelete
from, The Sketch Book
Merry Christmas AJ & Sarah!
I regularly follow your progress from here in Frankfurt(remember, I've got the same boat blocked ashore stateside). You're doing one heckuva job, that's for sure, and I know all your hard work will and determination is an inspiration for many of us watching from the sidelines.